Experience the best of New Zealand’s North Island on this guided tour. Your private guide will meet your group at the airport and take you on an insider’s tour of New Zealand, visiting iconic landmarks and local secrets alike.
Offering New Zealand’s top escorted tour operators and highly experienced tour guides, we cater for groups between 1-20 people. With no date or itinerary restrictions, your New Zealand tour can be completely customised.
10 Day North Island Guided Tour Itinerary
Day 1 Arrive Auckland
Your fantastic guided holiday begins in New Zealand’s largest city, Auckland. Home to 1/4 of New Zealand’s population and bordered by two stunning harbours, Auckland is thriving, diverse city surrounded by natural wonders.
Explore Auckland with your guide, visiting top attractions such as the Sky Tower, Mt Eden’s volcanic crater, Waiheke Island, Kelly Tarlton’s Underwater World, or Piha Beach.
Stay 1 night in Auckland.
Day 2 Bay of Islands + Dolphin Cruise
Travel time Auckland to Bay of Islands – 3 hours
Leave the city behind as your tour continues north to the Bay of Islands, a stunning stretch of coastline with secluded beaches, forested hills, and fantastic marine wildlife.
In the afternoon, cruise among the 144 islands in the bay and keep an eye out for dolphins, whales, and penguins!
Stay 2 nights in Paihia.
Day 3 Northland + Ninety Mile Beach
Discover the wild northern reaches of New Zealand today with your guide – venture past forests and farmland and windswept beaches on the journey to Cape Reinga, where a lighthouse marks the northernmost tip of New Zealand.
On the way, take in the vast expanse of 90 Mile Beach and visit an ancient Kauri grove hidden within lush native bush.
Day 4 Hamilton
Travel time Bay of Islands to Hamilton – 5.5 hours
Your tour will pass through the City of Sails once more as you continue south to Hamilton, New Zealand’s largest inland city.
In the afternoon, visit the chocolate and candy factory with your guide and relax in the city.
Stay 1 night in Hamilton.
Day 5 Waitomo Glowworm Caves + Taupo
Travel time Hamilton to Waitomo Caves – 1 hour
Venture off the beaten track as your guide takes you on a scenic drive to the Waitomo Caves. The land is wilder around here, with limestone outcroppings emerging from farmland and densely forested hills rising all around, but the wildest landscape of all lies underground.
Witness the marvels of these vast caverns as you explore two fantastic caves – the Ruakuri Cave, home to a dizzying array of cave formations, and the Waitomo Glowworm Caves, where you will be dazzled by a galaxy of glowworms overhead.
Travel time Waitomo Caves to Taupo – 2 hours
Enjoy the scenic drive to Taupo, a small town set beside New Zealand’s largest lake. With the volcanic peaks of Tongariro National Park looming in the distance, and the lake itself formed from an ancient volcanic crater, you will get a close-up look at the immense forces that shaped New Zealand. Visit the majestic Huka Falls with your guide and relax on the lakefront.
Stay 1 night in Taupo.
Day 6 Geothermal Wonders + Skyline Gondola Buffet Dinner
Travel time Taupo to Rotorua – 1 hour
Your geothermal experience will continue as you enjoy the short drive to Rotorua. Tour the exciting geothermal attractions with your guide, visiting sulphur springs, mud pools, geysers, and sinter terraces.
Stroll through Hells Gate Geothermal Reserve in the afternoon, where you will have the opportunity to experience the rich Maori culture and soak in a relaxing sulphur spa.
In the evening, enjoy a sumptuous dinner at Rotorua’s most spectacular location – the top of the Skyline Gondola!
Stay 1 night in Rotorua.
Day 7 Hobbiton + Tauranga
Travel time Rotorua to Matamata – 1 hour
Experience the magic of Middle-Earth as you tour the Hobbiton Movie Set, where the charming village from The Lord of the Rings has been brought to life.
Travel time Matamata to Tauranga – 1 hour
Continue to the Bay of Plenty, one of the most popular summer holiday destinations in New Zealand, and explore the city with your guide.
Stay 1 night in Tauranga.
Day 8 Mills Reef Helicopter Wine Tasting + Coromandel Peninsula
Today, join Aerius Helicopters for an unforgettable excursion – a helicopter tour combined with a wine tasting! Circle around Mt Maunganui and take in the coastal views before enjoying lunch at the fantastic Mills Reef Winery (own expense).
Travel time Tauranga to Coromandel Peninsula – 2.5 hours
Embark on a scenic tour of the Coromandel Peninsula, taking in views of the lush rainforest and idyllic beaches. If the tide is right, visit Hot Water Beach, where you can dig your own hot pools in the sand, on your way to Whitianga.
Stay 2 nights in Whitianga, Coromandel.
Day 9 Cathedral Cove Boat Tour
Discover the rugged coastline today on a boat tour that takes you through the marine reserve and past immense sea caves and sandy bays. Stop at the famous Cathedral Cove to soak in the views!
In the afternoon, your guide will show you some of the best hidden secrets of the Coromandel, including lush forest walks and secluded golden-sand beaches.
Day 10 Auckland
Travel time Coromandel Peninsula to Auckland – 3 hours
As your holiday draws to a close, return to Auckland and spend your final evening shopping, touring around with your guide, or celebrating the end of a fantastic holiday with a harbour dinner cruise.
Stay 1 night in Auckland.
Day 11 Depart Auckland
Your guide will deliver you to Auckland Airport for your departing flight.
- Spotting dolphins, whales, and penguins as you cruise through the stunning Bay of Islands.
- Visiting the remote northern tip of New Zealand at Cape Reinga, and exploring 90 Mile Beach.
- Witnessing a fantastic galaxy of glowworms at Waitomo Caves.
- Exploring the beautiful Ruakuri Cave, filled with delicate formations and echoing waterfalls.
- Visiting the magnificent Huka Falls.
- Relaxing in a sulphur pool and experiencing Maori culture at the Hells Gate Geothermal Spa.
- Exploring the geothermal wonderland of Rotorua – see geysers, bubbling mud pools, turquoise sulphur springs, and colourful sinter terraces.
- Dining in style atop the Skyline Gondola, with views of Rotorua spread out below.
- Experiencing the magic of Middle-Earth as you explore the exquisitely rendered Hobbiton movie set.
- Enjoying a decadent lunch and wine tasting at Mills Reef Winery.
- Flying around Mt Maunganui on an unforgettable helicopter tour that takes in Tauranga Harbour and the Kaimai Ranges.
- Discovering the rugged coastline of the Coromandel by boat – visit sea caves and bays, and even make a stop at the world-famous Cathedral Cove!
- Digging your own hot pool at Hot Water Beach.
Your privately guided tour includes:
- All transportation within New Zealand – you will be collected at the arrivals hall of the Auckland Airport, and dropped off at the departures hall of the Auckland Airport
- Excellent 4-star accommodation
- Private tour guide
- Sightseeing and Photo Stops En Route
- Bay of Islands Hole in the Rock Cruise
- Waitomo Glowworm Caves and Ruakuri Cave Combo Tour
- Skyline Gondola and Buffet Dinner Rotorua
- Hells Gate Geothermal Reserve Walk and Sulphur Spa
- Hobbiton Movie Set Tour
- Mills Reef Wine Tasting Scenic Helicopter Excursion (lunch own expense)
- Coromandel Glass-Bottom Boat Tour to Cathedral Cove
** Your privately guided tour does NOT include flights, food (except where included in activities) or travel insurance.
As guide prices are split between travellers, the pricing will vary depending on the number of travellers on your tour.
1 Traveller: NZD$17,749
2 Travellers: NZD$9549 per adult | NZD$9249 per child
3 Travellers: NZD$7199 per adult | NZD$6899 per child
4 Travellers: NZD$5999 per adult | NZD$5699 per child
5 Travellers: NZD$5299 per adult | NZD$4999 per child
6 Travellers: NZD$4849 per adult | NZD$4499 per child
7 Travellers: NZD$4499 per adult | NZD$4199 per child
8 Travellers: NZD$4249 per adult | NZD$3949 per child
9 Travellers: NZD$4249 per adult | NZD$3899 per child
10 Travellers: NZD$4049 per adult | NZD$3749 per child
11 + Travellers: Please enquire for your custom quote